Right then. Hi. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been here. I’d like to say I have a good excuse, but really I don’t. 2016 was quite interesting year. It was amazing in some ways, and sucky in others. I’m thinking I’ll do a quick overview in this post, but if you want to skip it, by all means. The main point of this post is that I am back. I’m not committing to a specific schedule (well… I am in my head, but don’t want to say it publicly and then fail), but I hope to be posting more. It will be of similar content and maybe some new topics. I just want to reopen this blog and see what it has in store for me. If you see changes to the site by way of layout, etc., don’t be surprised. I’m working on refreshing this site.
So the overview of last year. Let’s just do a highlight reel version. At least that’s what I’m aiming for going into it.
The best of 2016:
– I got a new job! This happened at the end of last year (October to be exact) but it already seems like a much better fit for me.
– We went on vacation to Florida! My boyfriend and I went on an extremely fun trip to Florida. We were there for 10 days and went to Disney and Universal Studios. We visited our friends who live down there, went to Clearwater beach, saw MANATEES (OMG I LOVE MANATEES lol), ate Waffle House (yum!). It was an amazing vacation. We went over our 2 year anniversary, and I couldn’t have asked for a better getaway.
– We went on a short vacation to Sleepy Hollow, NY. We in October, when the town is totally ready for Halloween, and it was amazing. Highly recommend it.
– My entire family, minus my boyfriend, got together in the summertime and visited my family. My boyfriend would have come but he had just started a new job himself and couldn’t take any time off in his first weeks.
– Our kitty had his first birthday! You probably don’t know this because I don’t think I was blogging back then but in September 2015, we adopted a 13 week old kitten. He celebrated his one year birthday and his one year “gotcha day.” His name is Midas. There may be a post in the future about him.
– I started volunteering at the local animal shelter (actually the shelter where we got Midas). It’s been a lot of fun to get to know the cats, and it’s really sad when my favorites get adopted. But overall, it’s been a good thing for me.
– I ran my first 5K. And I ran (well.. jogged) the whole thing, too. No walking. This is an amazing accomplishment for me. I hate to run. Like legitimately. I used the app called “C25K” and it definitely helped. The first week you run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds (I think that’s the interval), and then you move up to running 90 seconds in the second week. In that second week, I could barely do it. I thought there would be no way I could run for a longer period of time than that. But in September, I ran for 41:45 straight and finished the race! I’m unbelievably proud of myself. But I’m also annoyed because I wanted to do it under 40. Good thing I’ll be running some more this year. My goal is to do 3 5Ks with at least one under 40.
The not so great of 2016:
I feel like this can be boiled down to one main point: I’m finding life post-college to be difficult and, frankly, a bit lonely. After college, I moved to this new town. Of course, I have my boyfriend and the friends that I now have through him. But he volunteers as an EMT two to three nights a week, and I’ve found it really hard to make my own friends independent of him (not that his friends are bad, they’re great, but I feel like I need some girlfriends who I can spend time with when he is out “saving lives” as he puts it). The ones I had in college moved to their own new towns, so I felt like I was starting over. At first, it didn’t seem so bad – I just thought I had to give it time. But it’s been a year and a half since I’ve been done with school and I feel like it hasn’t gotten much better. Have any of you experienced this? I’m going to be making changes in 2017 that hopefully help with this. I want to take a class – a fun one that you have to be in-person for. I tried this last year with a cake decorating class but there was literally only one other person in the class and, while she was nice, there was no friendship to be found there. I’m thinking of trying something at the community college or taking a beginner’s adult dance class this summer. Plus my boyfriend and I want to take a ballroom dancing class together to meet more couple friends.
My goal for 2017 is to take better care of myself: do the things I love to do, try new things, spend quality time with the people I love, meet new people… I also have counted getting my apartment together as one of the ways to take care of myself. I haven’t bought curtains for every room and there is still a ton of organization that I would like to do with this place.
Let me know what your new year’s resolutions are… or “goals” as I like to put it.